1. What is the setting for the story?
2. What four characteristics are noted about Boxer the horse?
3. What comment does Benjamin the donkey make that shows his cynicism and bad temper?
4. How does Clover help the other animals at the meeting?
5. What does Old Major say is the reason the animals have such miserable lives?
6. What is Major’s prediction about Boxer.
7. What decision is made concerning the status of wild creatures such as rats and rabbits?
8. What is the name of the song Old Major teaches the animals?
9. What are the main ideas expressed in Major’s speech?
10. What indications does Orwell give in this chapter that indicate the pigs may be superior to the other animals?
11. What happens to Old Major?
12. Who are Napoleon, Snowball, and Squealer?
13. What qualities do they each possess?
14. What are some of the problems the pigs have to face in organizing the other farm animals?
15. Who is Moses and what role does he play on the farm?
16. What is Sugarcandy Mountain?
17. What is the immediate cause of the Rebellion?
18. What are the immediate results of the Rebellion?
19. What are the Seven Commandments?
20. What early indication does Orwell give to show that not all of the animals are treated equally?